Sunday, March 29, 2015

Reasons Why.


For all of those expecting to endure 4-6 straight months of thru-hiking, it is advised to focus heavily on mental preparedness. While the trail is definitely physically taxing, weeks of solitude can turn into the ultimate psychological game. Though all attempting thru-hikers hike with a common goal, we hike for different reasons. Many people in my life have asked me why I have decided to embark on a journey of this magnitude. You have Zach, over at Appalachian Trials, to thank for the following "3 Lists"

1. Why I need to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail...
- because I told myself (and practically everyone I know) that I would. I’ve been talking about it for years. Time to stop talking and start acting.
- the time is now! The opportunity has presented itself, how am I to say no? I have nothing holding me back. No financial issues, no career, no boyfriend.
- I need to figure out my next steps to take for my career. Getting away from distractions will allow me the time to think. 
- I crave a life changing adventure. 
- I have never been given a challenge of this extent. I need to know that I have what it takes.
- to learn how to rely on myself, and myself alone.
- to break my addiction with the internet, electronics, and social media.  
- to take a break from daily societal expectations.
- to be part of the hiker community
- to prove that women are equally as capable of thru-hiking solo. Women shouldn’t be reluctant to achieve their dreams based off the fact that they must venture on alone.
- I'm terrified of living an average, expected, conventional life.
- I don't spend enough time outside. 
- I’m afraid the AT won’t always be what it currently is. I want to take advantage of it while I can. 
- to learn how to let go of schedules and realize that not having a plan may very well be the best plan.
- I need to learn how to not over-pack! (Seriously, those who really know me know that this is a serious issue…)

2. When I successfully thru-hike, I will…
- be confident in my ability to overcome obstacles and endure hardships.
- have a new-found sense of independence.
- consider myself a fucking bad-ass.
- better understand myself and my desires in friendships, relationships, and my career
- know that I can succeed in anything I strive to accomplish.
- happily give advice to future thru-hikers.
- appreciate all the people and material items I had been taking for granted.
- donate all of the belongings I realize I no longer need.
- buy a huge map of the Appalachian Trail.
- probably get a tattoo.
- eat lots of New York pizza and bagels.
- move in with one of my best friends and force her to go on future adventures with me. 

3. If I give up on the AT, I will...
- be ashamed of myself for not sticking to my word.
- have an easier time quitting future tasks. 
- force myself to make up an "acceptable" excuse as to why I quit.
- have to embarrassingly explain why I couldn't make it the whole way.
- prove the discouraging people right - that I couldn't make it.
- have spent way too much time and money on a failed goal.
- become a statistical failure of the trail.
- probably never attempt to thru-hike again. I have too many places I want to see. I don't have the time to try again. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Christina! I started following so it will email me whenever you post! I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete